Sunday, October 02, 2005

A solid week

It’s been one of those weeks where I just feel like saying, “that was god stuff.”  It wasn’t a great, spectacular week.  Thousands didn’t make decisions for Christ.  Miracles didn’t happen.  But the “long obedience in the same direction” was more or less manifest.  Melissa, my dear wife, is off in the States for some much needed doctors consultations, so I’ve been holding down the fort alone.  Like most husbands, I probably don’t realize just how much I rely on my wife until she’s gone on a trip.  I’ve had a number of people tell me over the years that trips a one secret to a good marriage.  I even have one good friend tell me that frequent trips actually “saved” his marriage.  I’m not sure I’d go that far, but my appreciation for my wife sure increases in her absence.

For instance, I got a lot of insight into what her world is like as I took over Madison’s home schooling for the week.  I have new-found respect for all home-schooling parents as they take responsibility for educating their children.  It is easy to forget what you know as an adult.  Five plus five seems so obvious to me!  Two plus eight is clearly the same as eight plus two.  I guess it’s not obvious when you are six years old.  It is a good reminder to “keep the cookies on the bottom shelf”…to make information easily accessible to people in my life.

It was also a surprisingly solid ministry week.  I wasn’t expecting to get much done with Melissa gone.  But on Thursday we took “church on the road” again, this time to the “girls house.”  The two sisters are solid members of our little core group.  There family members…mother, two sisters, and a brother…are not.  The sisters took a courageous step by inviting us to “do church” at their house with their family members.  Solid.  Also, our new “staff translator” came a long for the first time.  After Bible study she and Di went off to supper and had some great conversation.

What’s it take to make a solid week?  Good kingdom investment.  Whether it’s in my daughter education, our core groups developing evangelistic heart or coffee with a team mate.  I don’t have to see miracles (though I want to see thousands come to Christ), but I want to spend more weeks like this, seeing God work in little ways each day.

No comments: