Monday, June 25, 2007

The CMA: Where are we today?

Photo_062007_001 I've been thinking a lot about the Christian & Missionary Alliance lately.  I've been working on another blog post since the end of Council that I still haven't posted.  But in essence, I'm longing to return to our roots as a denomination; I'm longing to return to our roots in my own personal life. 

Last week I was out for a run and snapped this picture in front of a church as I ran by.  The signs were advertising some special "Healing and Wholeness" services. Years ago, "back in the day" these are the kind of signs we would have seen outside Alliance churches (or branches).  But that sign wasn't outside of my own church; I found this sign outside of Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church.  On their website they explain:

On the last Sunday of each month, we offer a Healing and Wholeness Service in our Sanctuary after our 11:00am worship service (usually around 12:15pm). This unique service offers a time of great spirit and grace. We invite you to come and be prayed for by Saint Andrews' pastor and our prayer team or you may ask for prayers for others who are prominent in your heart and mind.

This sounds like the "after-service" meetings that used to happen in Alliance churches.  This isn't a criticism of my own church or even of the contemporary CMA.  It's actually a reflection of the growing longing of my own spiritual life.

 

2 comments:

JJ Spurling said...

Hi Jeff,

I share your sentiment. I would hazard a guess that there are many who share a desire for the reawakening of purity.

"Like the eye which sees everything in front of it and never sees itself, faith is occupied with the Object upon which it rests and pays no attention to itself at all. While we are looking at God, we do not see ourselves -- blessed riddance. The man who has struggled to purify himself and has had nothing but repeated failures will experience real relief when he stops tinkering with his soul and looks away to the perfect One" —A.W. Tozer

Sometimes I catch myself thinking that if I change this or that, or him or her in my life I will return to that sweet place where the flame of a passionate faith was burning brightly. However, when I focus on the Holy One I am in His presense and the things that I do and say are sanctified through His touch.

I agree, let's return to the original values:

Jesus only is our Message, Jesus all our theme shall be; We will lift up Jesus ever, Jesus only will we see.

Jesus only, is our Savior, All our guilt He bore away, All our righteousness he gives us, All our strength from day to day.

Jesus is our Sanctifier, Cleansing us from self and sin, And with all His Spirit’s fullness, Filling all our hearts within.

Jesus only is our Healer, All our sicknesses He bare, And His risen life and fullness, All His members still may share.

Jesus only is our Power, His the gift of Pentecost;
Jesus, breathe Thy power upon us, Fill us with the Holy Ghost.

And for Jesus we are waiting, Listening for the Advent Call; But ’t will still be Jesus only, Jesus ever, all in all.

Chorus
Jesus only, Jesus ever, Jesus all in all we sing,
Savior, Sanctifier, Healer, Glorious Lord and coming King.

Sorry for the long response :)

Jeff said...

Hey J, thanks for the comment. That's good stuff.