Saturday, January 27, 2007

Finally warm in Palm Springs

I laughed when I was packing to tour Souther California, Arizona and New Mexico.  I knew the later two would likely be cold, but I expected SoCal to be much warmer.  Until yesterday and today, I'd been sadly disappointed.

I'm here with the folks at North Gate Community Church in Cathedral City (Palm Springs), CA.  As always, its been great getting to know the real people who make up the Christian and Missionary Alliance.  As an added bonus, the pastor of the church is and old friend my father's-in-law, which neither of us realized until last night.

After a great dinner at a Mexican restaurant last night, complete with live music we met at the church for a presentation on Kosovo.  Then this morning I met with the men's Bible Study group and had a fantastic breakfast.  In fact, I think this may have been the best men's breakfast I've ever attended.  Any time you can have eggs made to order it's a pretty good breakfast in my book.

This after noon I hung out with some of the youth of the church, hiking through the beautiful mountains that overlook Palm Springs.

I got to share with this gang what an awesome privilege it is to serve the Lord in Kosovo and challenged them to fully surrender their lives to the Master as the only path for their futures.

God's doing some good stuff in this historic church.  I learned from the pastor over dinner tonight that the building that the church once occupied was the oldest in the valley.  Originally built as a small chapel in 1817, it was significantly expanded in building projects in the 1920's and 1960's. 

That original building was sold several years ago and new construction will begin shortly on the church's new home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

My name is Keith Morgan and I attend Crossroads Bible Chucrh in Los Alamos, NM. Wanted to say in referecne to your statement that it will be cold here, looks like a warming trend is in the works. It will be in the 40's when you are here. Guess warming trend depends on where you are coming from, but for us that will be warmer than it has been. Anyway, looking forward to meeting you and hearing what God is doing through you in Kosovo. By the way, if you could have anything for dinner, what would it be?

thanks and see you soon.

Keith

Jeff said...

Hey Keith, great to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to drop by and comment.

Why don't you send me an email about this to singfiel@gmail.com and we'll take the details of my trip to Los Alamos offline.

Thanks for the heads up about the weather! Anything you cook will be great.