Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Proposal before the Security Council

Yesterday, March 26th, UN Secretary General Ban Kai Moon presented Martti Ahtisaari's proposal on Kosovo to the Security Council.  He said:

Having taken into account the developments in the process designed to determine Kosovo’s future status, I fully support both the recommendation made by my Special Envoy in his report on Kosovo’s future status and the Comprehensive Proposal for the Kosovo Status Settlement.

Ahtisaari's official report to the UNSC leads with this:

"Recommendation: Kosovo’s status should be independence, supervised by the international community"

As far as I know, this is the first time the "I-word" (independence) has been used by a high-ranking UN official in an official documents.  The report later outlines why, "Independence with international supervision is the only viable option."

Check out Ban Kai Moon's submission and Ahtisaari's document here (PDF).

via South East Europe Online

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All Albanians and other are grateful to Americans and Britons for supporting independence. In 1999, US with the help of NATO saved Kosovo’s Albanian population. They are doing this again and I am 100 % sure Albanians will never forget it. I hope we one day can give something back to USA for helping us during different extreme difficult times.

Thank you and long live USA.

Jeff said...

Thanks for commenting! Because of the attitude you've described, I've felt warmly received by nearly all Albanians I've ever met.
I'm hoping, and praying, that a just solution can be reached and that the people of Kosova, of all ethnicities, can move forward into a better future together.